• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom representative : Street Fighter V would never ship on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterR

Well Square Enix said the following:

“Yes, Microsoft will be publishing ‘Rise of the Tomb Raider’ on Xbox, Microsoft has always seen huge potential in ‘Tomb Raider’ and they will get behind this game with more support across development, marketing and retail than ever before, which we believe will be a step in continuing to build the ‘Tomb Raider’ franchise as one of the biggest in gaming

Which basically means "they are handing us a big hat full of money.

farisr

This is going to be the new MGS4, isn't it?

For a second there I went "in what way" and then I remembered this:
18mfgm84j37gmjpgx9und.jpg

LOL. Still not the same thing though.

AZ Greg

Sad thing is, 95% of the people posting in SF5 threads now, won't be posting in the OT 2 weeks after the game comes out.

Which basically means "they are handing us a big hat full of money.

"The deal helps to have direct access to the platform, with proactive assistance from Microsoft towards making the game integrate well hardware wise. The collaboration also affords the game with the funding and marketing push -- two crucial aspects underpinning the success of any AAA game these days.

Crystal Dynamics Explains How 'Rise of Tomb Raider' Benefitted From Xbox One Exclusivity Deal

RM8

Not sure if you get it. Why would I fund a game for the competition.
I only said I wish SFV would reach the biggest audience possible, which obviously means I would have preferred if it wasn't tied to any non-Capcom company. Again, I'm not affected personally, I don't own an XB1, but I see no upside to exclusivity.

Faustek

I'm going to throw this out here. I don't believe this representative. I'm sorry, but I don't, I can't. Capcom has a fair share amount of backtracking about stuff in regards to exclusivity and whatnot over the years, and I'm not about to believe them on this either because of their history.

Know what? I have the same thought processes.
Sure I reckon that Sony has learned to write a contract since the PS1/2 days, Crash :(, but I can't imagine Capcom not trying to weasel out of this. Like instead of going Ultra, super whatever they'll just release 6 asap with minimal effort. I don't think they will but I'm pretty sure someone somewhere within Capcom’s upper brass is trying to figure out how to do it.

Biker19

Banned
“We will clearly spend money on marketing the game, there’s no doubt about that,” Spencer said to the site. “And we do [that] on games where we have very little to do with development, and with games that we fully develop. And we will definitely be spending money on developing the game – I want to make sure that it’s as great as it can be.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/1...-tomb-raider-exclusivity/#WxLCgFRoMvF47el0.99

That doesn't exactly mean that Microsoft themselves are helping Square-Enix develop the game. It's marketing speak.

It's only referring to them funding for development costs.

“We will clearly spend money on marketing the game, there’s no doubt about that,” Spencer said to the site. “And we do [that] on games where we have very little to do with development, and with games that we fully develop. And we will definitely be spending money on developing the game – I want to make sure that it’s as great as it can be.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/1...-tomb-raider-exclusivity/#WxLCgFRoMvF47el0.99

Pft, of course they would say that, It's PR speak man. Saying whatever sounds good to make fans happy.

The business realities of the console market are evident to Square Enix now. PS4 is a largeer market they are missing sales on because of this timed exclusivity deal with MS. Do you really think MS would invest development money into SE just to release a game on the Xbox One earlier that will eventually come to PS4 and PC? This deal is confirmed to have a time limit, on top of that, if they really did have a hand in its development they would have put MS' logo on the cover.

farisr

No point in going further with linkrules as he seems to take PR speak at face value and thinks quoting it is proving his point somehow.

Csr

It's funny, in the Devils Third thread I just had to hear about how people are wrong to say the game might be good based largely (not exclusively) on its pedigree, and I said half the games people talk up on the board are either only pre-rendered trailers or sometimes just names, a title and nothing more, and people talk about how great they are, and I was told just how very wrong I was.

Street Fighter V is just a name, a name I could've guessed 20 years ago, in fact, and it's already the single most important game to ever grace the PS4. OK.

What are you talking about SFV is just a name? We have tons of information and gameplay footage.

Pft, of course they would say that, It's PR speak man. Saying whatever sounds good to make fans happy.

The business realities of the console market are evident to Square Enix now. PS4 is a largeer market they are missing sales on because of this timed exclusivity deal with MS. Do you really think MS would invest development money into SE just to release a game on the Xbox One earlier that will eventually come to PS4 and PC? This deal is confirmed to have a time limit, on top of that, if they really did have a hand in its development they would have put MS' logo on the cover.

Well, dont look at me, if MS say they are helping with the development maybe we should believe them, the same way we believe Sony and Capcom when they say SFV couldnt be possible without Sony help, because we believe Sony and Capcom right?

farisr

It was obvious since the reveal that Sony had payed to lock Microsoft out.

Indeed, getting the development of the ground and funding a game that a company was hesitating on making, it's pretty much expected the competing platforms would be locked out and the game would be exclusive, they'd be fools not to put that in the contract. But some people just didn't want to believe.

Faustek

Off topic, kinda.

Btw I've seen a lot of Tomb Raider talk. As always but do we know that it actually sold more on PS4? Just in the NPD numbers that is since all I've seen so far is chaaaaaaaartz.

Sad thing is, 95% of the people posting in SF5 threads now, won't be posting in the OT 2 weeks after the game comes out.

Yeah,true.
Too much cheerleading, while backlogs grow and grow and games just sit and collect dust.
At what point do you stop being a person who just enjoys this hobby, and then become some type of messenger for these companies? I just don't get that line of thinking,its weird.

Remember when Bayonetta 2 came out exclusively on the Wii U because Nintendo helped make it happen? That's what SFV is on a basic level.

Street Fighter V would have happened eventually, probably on both PS4 and X1, much later, imagine a 2020 release. Ono himself has alluded to development costs preventing his team from making it happen. Sony steps in, helps fund the development, now it's on PS4 and PC (Sony doesn't see PC as a competitor in the console market.)

farisr

MGS4 wasn't a multiplatform game at launch like SFV is.

Metal Gear Solid was a multiplatform series.
Street Fighter was a multiplatform series.
MGS4 was never announced for any platforms except ps3.
Street Fighter V was never announced for any platforms except ps4/pc.

Edit: Ah, you're saying MGS4 was available on only ps3, whereas SF V is available on two platforms (PS4 and PC). Nvm. There are other differences too, like sony never funding MGS4 as far as I am aware.

Indeed, getting the development of the ground and funding a game that a company was hesitating on making, it's pretty much expected the competing platforms would be locked out and the game would be exclusive, they'd be fools not to put that in the contract. But some people just didn't want to believe.

pure PR speak.

thelastword

Banned
This has been said over and over again, don't know why the question is still being asked. Sony's money is in SF5, there's no way it would cross over, at least it's coming out on PC for those without a PS4.

Poop!

Metal Gear Solid was a multiplatform series.
Street Fighter was a multiplatform series.
MGS4 was never announced for any platforms except ps3.
Street Fighter V was never announced for any platforms except ps4/pc.

Edit: Ah, you're saying MGS4 was available on only ps3, whereas SF V is available on two platforms (PS4 and PC). Nvm. There are other differences too, like sony never funding MGS4 as far as I am aware.

I'm saying that from the moment MGS4 was announced it was exclusive. No marketing double speak.

Well, dont look at me, if they say they are helping with the development maybe we should believe them, the same way we believe Sony and Capcom when they say SFV couldnt be possible without Sony help, because we believe Sony and Capcom right?

This is a false equivalency. SFV's situation is more similar to Bayonetta 2's than ROTR's. Ono literally needed funding to make SFV. However, ROTR necessarily did not need funding from Microsoft. The Tomb Raider series has been strongly associated with Playstation for quite a while and the PS4 has a substantially larger userbase than the XBO.

petghost

Banned
I don't think anyone in the fgc is a console warrior btw...they just gonna buy the system that has the game they play. They leave that shit to you guys in this thread.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It would be hilarious if Phil comes on stage and says that anyone with a decent PC can play SFV on their Xbox One via Windows 10 streaming, and that they used that new HVEC streaming technology they researched to decrease bandwidth and latency to the point where it's imperceptible for fighting games. And then he says all Gold members get a free SFV Windows 10 version.

On topic, this sucks, as the Tomb Raider deal. I wish Nintendo, Xbox, and Playstation would unite, and share all the games. Make a 3-in-1 console. 999$. Create world peace through games.

Well, dont look at me, if MS say they are helping with the development maybe we should believe them, the same way we believe Sony and Capcom when they say SFV couldnt be possible without Sony help, because we believe Sony and Capcom right?

I'll say this when it comes to PR. Sony and Capcom have been plainly saying it since day one. That a deal has occurred between the two companies regarding SFV. MS has fumbled the message with RotTR, they have said it's exclusive, they have said it's timed exclusive, they have said it's holiday exclusive. Eventually they finally came out and said it has a duration.

I trust Sony and Capcom more, because of their plain speak, than MS who seem to try to dance around plainly saying their game is timed exclusive.

I would love for SFV to come to all platforms, hell, Vita, 3DS, Xbox One, Wii U, also. The truth is, business realities in the console market happen.

Copen

Banned

If they're paying to FUND THE GAME why the hell would they want it to benefit the Xbox platform? You act like they straight up cock blocked MS on this when everything points to the contrary. The game wasn't being made currently Sony is funding it and now it's not only being made for the PS4 but PC as well with cross play between the 2 platforms which MS NEVER would've allowed on the Xbox One. It's coming to PC IF Sony wanted to cock block ALL MS platforms and don't be obtuse the PC IS a MS platform then Sony would've made it Sony only so as dramatic as you make it sound it's not that dramatic it's on PC if you don't own Sony's platform which still gives MS customers a gateway to play the game be happy don't be salty.

farisr

I'm saying that from the moment MGS4 was announced it was exclusive. No marketing double speak.

There was never any marketing double speak for SF V. What are you talking about? When the game was first revealed this is exactly what was said

"Street Fighter V is coming and will be exclusive to PS4 and PC."
"Playstation 4 will be the only console this game ever appears on"
They also announced cross platform play between PS4 and PC

That's pretty damn clear to me.

See for yourself: https://youtu.be/vlRZ2UxAe0E?t=4061

sjay1994

Sometimes people don't understand when games are actually exclusive to a platform or platforms.

Like those people waiting for the Demons Souls/Bloodborne PC combo pack

farisr

Sometimes people don't understand when games are actually exclusive to a platform or platforms.

Like those people waiting for the Demons Souls/Bloodborne PC combo pack

I saw a post in my twitter feed where someone was looking forward to the steam summer sale because it meant 30% off Bloodborne.

Biker19

Banned
sure sounds pretty final isn't it?
seems like ps4 is the fighter's choice this time around
3AQmK.gif

Playstation platforms have always been the choice for fighters around the globe since the PS1/PS2 days (except for the SF IV series & UMvC 3); People act like this is new.

Magnus

I'm kind of confused at how Street Fighter needed funding. Hasn't IV and all of its iterations been hugely successful, and largely credited with reinvigorating the competitive fighting scene? LIke, I'm looking at all the uproar over USF4 PS4 in the FGC and realizing that Street Fighter is absolutely huge. Was the franchise really in so much trouble that it needed help?

Or is it that Sony merely opted to help fund so as to lock up exclusivity?

Qvoth

Playstation platforms have always been the choice for fighters around the globe except for the SF IV series & UMvC 3; People act like this is new.

well yeah but sf4 and its iterations probably still is the biggest fighting game currently?

DNAbro

I'm kind of confused at how Street Fighter needed funding. Hasn't IV and all of its iterations been hugely successful, and largely credited with reinvigorating the competitive fighting scene? LIke, I'm looking at all the uproar over USF4 PS4 in the FGC and realizing that Street Fighter is absolutely huge. Was the franchise really in so much trouble that it needed help?

Or is it that Sony merely opted to help fund so as to lock up exclusivity?

It's because Capcom sucks. The only reason USF4 is even on PS4 is cause Sony footed the bill.

From the moment SFV was announced it was PS4/PC only. No marketing double speak.

It's because Capcom sucks. The only reason USF4 is even on PS4 is cause Sony footed the bill.

Yeah, I need to ask all of the naysayers. If Capcom can't even find the cash to port USF4 to next generation consoles, then why do think it so easy to build a brand new SF game from the ground up for next generation consoles. No one has any doubts that at some point in 2018 or later we would have got SFV anyway. As it stands, however, we're getting the game in March 2016, because of Sony's involvement, and with cross platform play to boot.

Without the involvement of Sony I can guarantee two things:
1) We'd be waiting years to play this game.
2) It would be on Xbox One and there would be no cross platform play.

I think the benefits outweigh the fact one platform is missing out, personally. Just happy we're getting Street Fighter V, and soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom